Skip to main content

Was thinking about migraine scent triggers... and reminded me of my cat Charlie's problem

And it reminded of this recent adventure... it is a bit of a long story leading up to the awful scent trigger but it all starts with Charlie.

My youngest cat Charlie... look at those innocent eyes. They are tricking you.

Is a possessive little bugger. he loves snuggles. However, if I or my boyfriend dare to be cuddling Bobby, well then, he will not tolerate that if he sees it and will try to chase him away. He used to come into the bedroom around 2AM and sleep on the top of my pillow... sort of wrap around my head. Recently he began to sit on my back... or head and meow at me until I pet him because he knows I am awake, because I am always awake. And he will not be ignored. I try but he keeps meowing until he wakes up my boyfriend.

Just Charlie being Charlie, right? Well... Charlie also started recently peeing outside the litterbox. In front of us. Specifically in front of us. He would wait for our attention, find something around him and pee on it. What the hell right? I got him a bigger litterbox. I made sure it was clean all the time. Nope. Kept doing it. Not often. Not anywhere specific. Always in front of us. Like he was making a point. But one I could not figure out. So I brought him to the vet which he sure didn't appreciate but I thought maybe he had an infection. No. He did not. They speculated he has a psychological problem.

Uh huh. They said if it was in a particular spot it might have been territorial. If we had gotten another cat or we had moved he might have been upset. However, if it was just a new behaviour then it was a 'behavioral issue' that might have developed because of his interaction with the other cats or because he is having psychological problems.

The treatment you act? Why antidepressants. Amitriptyline specifically. I laughed at this... thinking well damn, I could save a buck and get my neuro to put me on it, cut the pill and dose up my cat. But I don't want to dose up my cat if the little bugger doesn't need it.

The alternative...pheromones. Kitty pheromones. When a cat rubs their head against you... they are rubbing all their soothing kitty pheromones on you. they are saying 'hey you are mine and I love you' or some such thing. And they make a air freshener packed full of these pheromones that you plug in that will calm your cat down. They use it in the vet office in the surgery room to keep the cats calm actually. It can be used when you move, for multi-cat households and for cats who have anxiety and for Charlie better known as 'problem cats' who pee where they should not. The one we got from the vet was this clear liquid and it smells like nothing... and it works like a charm. Chilled him right out and he has not peed since... at least not where he should not.

My boyfriend however was at the pet store... buying kitty crack... I mean nip and he found a cheaper version of the refills. Cool he thought. So he brings it home. And I thought cool. he plugs it in.

Two seconds later I say 'Ohmygod. Take it out. It Reeks. Why the hell would they give it a odour and why the hell would they make it so Strong and nasty. Please take it out now. It's seriously going to give me a migraine.'

He says 'It doesn't smell that bad' but takes it out.

Two minutes later. I have a migraine and he says 'God that does really smell bad'

So I can learn a few things from this a) I have a strong sense of smell and b) I know when it will trigger a migraine and c) that company is on crack if they think that smells good. I get why they did it... they made it a color so people could see if it was running out and scented so they could know when it ran out or maybe so they had an 'air freshener' as well... a toxic one. But, really should have done their research on that one. A cat would die if they caught a whiff of that. We had to open the windows.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…